Friday, February 11, 2011

Not your every day jelly bean.

I've slowly been phasing out legumes again. I never really ate any to begin with so going paleo was not a big deal in that regard. With everything I know of legumes, I was not in agreement with adding them back in, but I did it to follow the plan I committed to. I was okay with it for a month.

A couple things I learned during that month is that soaking your beans and then cooking them yourself makes for a much better bean compared to canned. It's worth the effort.

Another thing I learned is beans aren't so bad. Black beans are good warmed up with oil and red wine vinegar and some seasoning. Lentils are good with melted butter. In fact, if you overcook the lentils and then put butter and salt on them they are surprisingly like mashed potatoes. If I ever wanted to sit at home on a rainy day and have some comfort food, that would be a nice substitute for mashed potatoes since I don't do so well with potatoes.

Despite my positive foray into beans (I had some chick peas too and they were pretty okay) I'm ready to not be eating them anymore. Part of not eating them anymore though requires I add back in the calories and carbs. This will take a little getting used to.

I had already increased my protein intake to account for the extra hunger I know comes when I start working out again. Since I just ate three extra helpings of broccoli and cauliflower, I'm thinking I'll need to compensate for the beans more than I had previously thought. I'll tweak it some more though and see what happens. I could have just randomly been hungrier too.

I feel really good today. My stomach is distended and my jeans are tight and I'm not sure why, but aside from that, I feel surprisingly good. My head is clearer than usual and I have high energy. It's a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment