Friday, September 10, 2010

Kale Chips

Kale Chips

kale
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt (optional*)

Preheat oven to 350°. Wash and pat dry kale. Tear the leaves from the stems and tear into chip-size pieces. Toss with the oil. Lay the leaves out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and season with salt. Bake for 10-20 minutes, until kale is brown, but not burnt. It's okay if some of the leaves are still greenish. Let stand for a few minutes before eating.

*The salt is optional, but I recommend it and I never salt anything unless a recipe specifically calls for it. You could also season them with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, chili powder or the like.

They have a certain air-popped popcorn sort of consistency. They are much crispier and lighter than regular chips and have a delicate texture. They are nothing what I expected, and I am pleasantly surprised. If I ever crave a snack I want to just munch on, this will be my go-to food as a great substitute to chips or pretzels.

1 comment:

  1. You have to make me some of these kale chips. They sound interesting.. :)

    ReplyDelete