Sunday, September 26, 2010

Primal Pumpkin Pie

Primal Pumpkin Pie

The crust:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt

The filling:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree*
3 eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt

The crust: Combine melted butter, almond flour and salt in a bowl and mix well. Transfer to a 9 inch pie plate and press evenly into the bottom and sides of the plate.

The filling: Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Gently pour the filling into the crust and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until the center of the pie ‘sets’ (is no longer liquidy). Be sure to check on the pie about half way through. If the crust starts to get too dark, attach strips of aluminum foil to the perimeter, covering the crust, to keep it from getting burnt.


*Halve 2 small pie pumpkins, remove the seeds, and slice them into large wedges. Rub the wedges with a little oil and roast on a baking sheet in a 400° oven for about an hour. Scoop out the soft flesh from the skin and puree in the food processor. Or you can buy a can of plain pumpkin.

I only used one of these



Ready to put in the oven



Mmmmm pie!




Comments:
I got this amazing recipe from this primal life. It's one of those "back pocket" recipes. You want a good dessert recipe if the mood strikes, but you're not just going to make a pie to make a pie. Well, I made this pie to just make the pie...because the kids requested and we had a long weekend and honestly, they deserved a good pie.

I had to modify the recipe to make it Allergy Boy friendly. No almonds. No milk. No eggs. I substituted coconut flour for almond flour. Next time I'll only use one cup of flour. The crust was good, but it was thick. I substituted coconut milk for regular milk. I think coconut milk is kind of gross, but it is great for baking. I used Ener-G egg replacer.

For the most part, this recipe is perfect. I have two pretty substantial modifications though. One, there is too much salt in there. The pie was salty—actually salty. Had it not been for this fact, the entire pie would be devoured already. Thank god for the salt. Next time I'll put 1/8 of a tsp in the crust and 1/4 tsp in the pie. Two, I came to find that I'm really not a fan of pumpkin pie spice. That bothered me more than the salt...and it was salty. Really salty. Next time I'll use 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.

On a sidenote, the pureed pumpkin I made was phenomenal plain. After eating the pie, all I really wanted was a bowl of warm puree with cinnamon...and not so salty crust.

eta:
I will probably only use 1/3 cup of honey next time too.

eta 9.27.10:
I wanted to mark here too, a retraction. On the second day the pie was surprisingly not too salty. So I apologize for the huge deal I made about that, although in all honesty I wasn't trying to be snarky. It just amused me since I was not expecting an overwhelmingly salty flavor. I will still modify the recipe a little bit next time, but not so drastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment